Wednesday 13 April 2011

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Synopsis: I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.

I was in a bookshop recently where people seemed to be congregating around a stand of books. Upon investigation I discovered the book was called The Wise Man's Fear. The second in a fantasy trilogy. It seemed to be in high demand so I went home with the first book, The Name of the Wind. And so began the tale of Kvothe. The story is in two parts. Present day Kvothe who runs an inn and tells the story of Kvothe from the past. 

The majority of the book focuses on Kvothe’s experiences and struggles as he grows up. You can’t help but admire Kvothe’s intelligence and resilience in the face of hardships that no 12 year old boy should experience. The book is peppered with eccentric and mysterious characters that draw you further into its pages.
In my opinion the best years of Kvothe’s story so far are those when he is attending the University. This is where you learn about the magic in the world and just how powerful Kvothe has become.

It is a coming of age tale with a focus on the painful realities of not having food, money or social status to get you by in life. Rothfuss’s ability to take magic and fantasy and turn it into something completely believable makes this an exceptional novel. The unanswered questions at the end leave the reader wanting more!

I have since gone and bought The Wise Man’s Fear. But alas, I have to force myself to save it for awhile. Once I am finished reading it I will have to wait for the third book to be written and published. Who knows how long that will take!  4/5

Describe it in two words? Humorous and Epic

No comments:

Post a Comment