Friday 12 August 2011

Review: I Loved You First by Reena Jacobs

My best friend was more than just a best friend to me. Three words summed it up: I heart him. I’d never tell him though. I wasn’t stupid. Besides, what he’d told no one, but me, was a little something I wished I could forget… or ignore. He was gay. I guess gay wouldn’t be bad if I wasn’t so in love with him. Now it was just cruel. 

Stereotypes run amok in this college love story: Parties, alcohol, hookups, and breakups. Alexandria Carmichael may find it a bit much as she deals with the unreturned love from the boy who completes her. When all is revealed, not only does she risk losing her best friend forever, but also herself. Without her childhood companion for support, Alexandria takes a journey of self-discovery but fears what she’ll find at the end.

** I was sent this book by the author for an honest review**

I Loved You First is a novella length love story that had me hooked from  the very first page. Alex, a college freshman, has fallen in love with her best friend Seth. It seems like a pretty straight forward romance but for the fact that Seth is gay. Alex is the only person that knows the truth but this doesn’t change her feelings for him. Alex is forced to stand by and watch Seth as he dates a string of girls, while her heart silently breaks.

Reena Jacobs is a wonderful writer. Her characters and the situations are very real and easy to identify with. My own heart was breaking for Alex, who was in love with someone who can’t love her back in the same way. And poor Seth! I loved this guy, although there were times when I thought he was a bit inconsiderate and insensitive towards Alex. But at the same time, he has so much on his plate. I was really moved by his situation. I read this book in a few hours, it was hard to put down. I don’t want to give away any spoilers but there are some excellent scenes and an awesome bitch slap.

The background characters kept things interesting. Dink, although I don’t like his name, I did like the guy! Bruce, Seth’s love interest and all round bad guy in my books and Trinity, a breath of fresh air, who provides Alex with the strength and encouragement she badly needs.

Overall I really enjoyed this one and am giving it 4 out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment